Monday, August 15, 2011

How to make quick grape jelly

Do you like some jelly on your toast...?
I love toast with butter and jelly!
Gostam de geleia na torrada?
Eu adoro torradas com manteiga e geleia!
A couple days ago
while walking
through my yard next to the grape vines
I found out I still had some left
(usually the birds get everything before they are even ripe).
So I went ahead and harvest what was left of it.
 Há uns dias atrás estava no quintal e quando passei junto das vinhas descobri que ainda tinha algumas uvas
(normalmente os pássaros comem os bagos todos mesmo antes de amadurecerem). Por isso decidi colher os que restavam.
Too sour to eat, I decided to make some grape jelly.
I've sorted them out, washed and weighted.
Como eram muito amargas para comer, decidi fazer geleia de uvas.
Tirei as uvas dos cachos, lavei-as e pesei-as.
On a big sauce pan,
I've mixed the grapes with the same sugar weight
(on my case, 5 pounds of each).
Numa panela grande, misturei as uvas com o mesmo peso em açúcar
(no meu caso cerca de 5 libras cada, ou seja, 2,5 quilos).
Stired well, bringing it to a boil,
and let it simmer for about 2 hours,
till it had a good jelly consistency.
Misturei bem até levantar fervura
e deixei ferver em lume brando por cerca de 2 horas, até ganhar consistência de geleia.

Removed from heat and strained it through cheese cloth and a strainer.
Retirei do lume e coei através de um coador forrado com gaze.
Poured into prepared jars, and labeled it.
Enchi os frascos, previamente preparados, com a geleia, e colei os rótulos.
Mmmmm... doesn't it look pretty?
Mmmmm... não é tão bonita?
I'll see you all later!
Até breve!

No comments:

Post a Comment